Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chimay with a Dominican

Strings of lights cascade the sky and a light breeze comforts the patio in Uptown Dallas. It's Joseph's 27th Birthday and we have gathered here to get a couple of drinks in us and a good conversation. There are times when you take a step back from it all, observe the commotion we call life and realize that it would all be the same without you in it. It's nice seeing friends so happy and peaceful. I make an honest smile and walk back into the hypnotizing siren of a song. It's time to be a part of a growing good time.
After Jake's we head to the Ginger Man's. Its a big house on the outside, but a real pub on the inside with an upstairs balcony and outside patio. A warm wooded timeless piece making me feel like Beowulf before I battle Gretchen for the first time. I think I'll keep my clothes on this time though. On the recommendation of our friends I order a bottle of Chimay the Premium Red Label. Two bottles emptied into our uppity glasses and a dominican cigar (thanks to Chris) later I'm walking with a merry stumble and carving "Philip and Jessica wuz here" on the wooden table. I'll check for it next time I'm there.
We make our way back to club M. A three story club that only utilizes the top two floors. Its crowded and I make my rounds to only escape to the roof. I have a perfect view of the Downtown Dallas Skyline. I realize at this moment I love this city and raise my glass towards it and it returns my gesture with a refreshing breeze. A moment later Jessica gives me the sign to rescue her from some aging older man trying to impress her with his wingman skills. He really does make it harder for me to hit on any decent women as I have now sacrificed myself for the great escape. Cry me a river.
Our last stop is the Idle Rich Pub, but only after I run back to M to close out my tab. We play our games and I lose. We spend our few moments of drinking at the last pub searching for unsuspecting victims of our game but our lust for power has left us wanting. The worst part of it is, we forgot to have a better time with the company provided. I think these games have outlasted their novelty.
As we drive home Chris and I get into a heated fight and wrap up poor Jessica in the middle of it as a peacemaker. After we drop off Jessica, Chris and I realize that we are more alike then previously recognized and even though the fight was hurtful, it was necessary. Because of this fight we were forced to evolve as friends in a shorter amount of time than our leisure permitted. Our friendship prevailed and in return for this, it multiplied ten fold, and now we can truly understand and appreciate the other's character.

No comments:

Post a Comment