Tuesday, January 12, 2010

In a Desperate Land

Jim Morrison croons to "The End" as my car swafts through the grey canopy of clouds. This is my favorite part of the day, this is where I belong. There is no expectations, no judgement, no talk, I just am. I'm on my way to work, but that is none of my concern, for at the moment I'm free. My muscle memory knows these highways so well I might as well close my eyes and dream a beautiful dream. Ride the snake..... to the ancient lake... seven miles.
My hopes, my dreams, my desires, dance in their realization. They give birth to new wants and plans for the future. If I died at this moment my thoughts would always remain silent, yet I can not voice them. They were only meant to be lived. There is a map to lay out the course and I'm doing all I can to not let life bully it to a crush.
The day ends with my car ride home blanketed in darkness. I can see the stream of cars below me and it looks as if the world has fire coursing through its veins. Exhausted from doing nothing I let out a sigh of relief. I'm on my way to meet up Alex for another round of heavy leather. This time around our stamina is much more evolved, but my lack of stretching has caused me a shoulder injury. A heavy right hook thrown with a cold muscle shocks my deltoid into a lasting pain.
Alex's fiance is a teacher and she has left some third grade math tests on the counter. I take a peak at Derek's... poor kid got a 46. I have challenged myself to solve the wrong questions with an arithmetic meeting held in the head. It seems that I have exposed a weakness to division, in that I need to write it down to complete the equation. Its a wonder how I got through Calculus AP. From this discovery I have used deductible reasoning to hypothesize that my non mastery of division is a direct consequence of learning it last, throughout the year.
See we all learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, then division. If we spent most of the year on the other three more than likely you were only taught what you needed to know in order to pass the test. We spent much more time refining our skills in the other trades and when we realized that our time constraints were shot, we hurried to make sure we knew how to do it, but not in our heads without paper. The delay of the inevitable can always tell you the quality of the absorption of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment